Coconut, Ginger, and Mushroom Noodles
Quick-pickling a few of the mushrooms gives this dish brightness and acidity while caramelizing the rest adds earthy notes
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. Black (Chinkiang) vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
1 5″ piece ginger, peeled, cut into matchsticks, divided
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
8 oz. dried soba noodles
6 Tbsp. Vegetable oil, divided
8 oz. Green beans, trimmed, cut into thirds
6 small shallots, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Heat sugar,2 cup vinegar,2 Tbsp.
soy sauce, and 3 cup water in a small saucepan over low, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add a quarter of mushrooms and half a cup ginger.
- Return to a simmer and cook4 moments. Let pickles trendy.2. Spread out cashews on a single side of a baking sheet and then coconu on the other. Toast, undisturbed, until the majority of coconut is golden brown,5-7 minutes. Remove from oventransfer coconut into a plate. Toss nuts; keep to toast until golden brown, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to plate; let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions.
Drain and rinse under cold water. Put aside.
- Whisk kecap manis,2 Tbsp. Petroleum, remaining 2 Tbsp. vinegar, and remaining 4 Tbsp. Soy sauce in a small bowl; set sauce aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. Oil in a big pot. Cook remaining mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until browned, about
5minutes. Transfer to a plate; wipe out bud. Heat 1 Tbsp. Oil in pot; cook legumes and corn, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate. Reduce heat to medium; heat remaining 1Tbsp. Oil in bud. Cook shallots and ginger, stirring, until softened, about two minutes. Toss in mushrooms, corn, and beans.
Remove from heat. Insert reservednoodles, then cashews, coconut, and allowed sauce and toss well.
- Divide noodles among bowls and top with drained pickles.