Smoked Tofu Larb With Lemongrass
This meat-free version of the Laotian and Thai dish combines smoked tofu with pops of crispy sesame seeds along with a kick of lime dressing
1/3 cup (or more) fresh lime juice palm or light brown sugar
- Tsp. kosher salt, plus more
1/4 cup glutinous rice
- Tbsp. Vegetable oil
6 small shallots, thinly sliced
3–4 lemongrass stalks, bottom third only, tough outer layers removed, finely chopped
11/2 lb. Smoked or firm tofu, drained, cut to 1/4″ cubes
2 Tbsp. Black sesame seeds, plus more 11/4 cups chopped mixed tender herbs (like Thai basil and/or mint) Tender lettuce leaves (for serving)
- Mix lime juice, soy sauce, palm sugar, chile powder, and 1 tsp. Salt in a large bowlto mix; place dressing aside.
- Toast rice in a dry medium skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and nuty-smelling,6-8 minutes.
Transfer to a spice mill and let cool, then coarsely grind. Set rice powder apart. Wipe pan out.
- Heat oil in same pan over moderate. Cook shallots and lemongrass, stirring frequently, untilsoftened, about 4 minutes. Scrape into bowl with dressing.
- Add tofu,2 Tbsp. Sesame seeds, and reserved rice powder to bowl and lightly toss to combine. Season with salt and add more chile powder and lime juice if needed.
- Stir herbs into larb and serve with lettuce leaves and much more sesame seeds for building